Attending Staff, Kingston General Hospital
Attending Staff, Hotel Dieu Hospital
Areas of Clinical Interest:
Neurosurgery, CVD-Cerebral Vascular Disease
Areas of Research Interest:
95 King Street East
Tel: (613) 549-6666 Ext 3696
Fax: (613) 548-1346
Click here to email Dr Saunders
1973-74 Queen's University (straight surgery)
1974-78 Dalhousie University
Medical School Graduation:
1973 Queen's University
Canadian Congress of Neurologic Sciences
American Congress of Neurologic Surgeons
Cerebrovascular Surgery Section of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons
Canadian Heart and Stroke Foundation
Registered Society of Vascular Technicians
Registered Member of Independent Health Facility Directors
Committees and Administrative Positions:
Chairman, Morbidity and Mortality Committee 1983-86
Chairman, Department Audit Committee 1984-88
KGH Magnetic Resonance Search Committee 1984
KGH In and Out Surgery Committee 1985-88
Chairman, Trauma Service and Rounds 1986-87
Trauma Team 1986-90
Co-director Cerebrovascular Disease Service and Clinic 1986 - present
Chairman, Operating Room Sub-Committee 1991
Surgical Bed Allocation Committee 1992
Operating Room Committee 1992-95
Surgical Quality Improvement Committee 1992 - present
ICU Review Committee 1994-96
Critical Care Review Committee 1995-98
Transplantation Committee 1995-98
Clinical Management Committee, Dept of Surgery 1995-97
Department of Surgery Finance Committee 1997-2002
Head: Division of Neurosurgery 1991-2002
Head: Cerebrovascular and Peripheral Vascular Laboratory 1987-present
Director: Neurosurgical Intensive Care Unit 1989-2002
Director: Stroke Prevention Clinic 2004 - present
University Trust Funds Committee 1984-87 and Chairman in 1988
Team Physician - Queen's University Hockey 1981-86
Stroke Sub-committee of Heart and Stroke 1984-85
Independent Health Facilities Management Association, Independent Health Facilities Assessor 2003-present
Stroke Prevention Clinic Workshop April 2004
IHF Assessment: Brampton Vascular Clinic May 2004
Publications in Reviewed Journals:
1. Anterior Body Fusions: Eastern Canadian Neurologic Society meeting and abstracts, 1977
2. Herpes Simplex Encephalitis: Modern Medicine, 1977
3. Scar Prevention of Peripheral Nerve Surgery: Canadian Association of Neurological Sciences Journal, 1980
4. Pitfalls in Posterior Fossa CT Scanning: Canadian Association of Neurological Sciences Journal, 1981
5. Thiopental Bolus during Carotid Endarter-ectomy-Rational Drug Therapy?: Canadian Anesthetic Society Journal, 1983
6. New Intraventricular Catheter for Volume Pressure Response Measurements: Canadian Association of Neurological Sciences Journal, 1984
7. Interpreting and Understand CT Scanning in Head Injuries: Canadian Family Physician, Vol 30, Dec 1984
8. The Carotid Siphon: A Scanning Electron Microscope Assessment of its Embolic Potential; Saunders, F.W., Shedden, P., Canadian Journal of Neurologic Sciences, 2:263-266, 1985.
9. Diltiazem: Possible Hematologic Complications; Saunders, F.W., Shedden P., Surgical Neurology, 25, pg. 82-84, 1985.
10. Diltiazem: Does it Affect Vasospasm; Saunders, F.W., Marshall, W.J.S. Surgical Neurology, 1986.
11. Spinal Artery Aneurysm: An Illustrative Case Report; Saunders, F.W., Birchard, D., Surgical Neurology, 27, pg 269-272, 1987.
12. Intracranial Blood Velocity in Head Injury, A Transcranial Ultrasound Doppler Study; Saunders, F.W., Cledgett, P., Surgical Neurology, ph. 401-409, 1988.
13. Topical Nitroglycerin: A Potential Treatment for Impotence; Owen, J.A., Saunders, F. Harris, C., Fenemore, J., Reid, K., Surridge, D., Condra, M., Morales, A., The Journal of Urology, Vol 141, March 1989.
14. Topical Glyceryltrinitrate Causes Measurable Penile Arterial Dilation in Impotent Men; Heaton, J.P.W., Morales, A., Owen, J., Saunders, F., Fenemore, J; Journal of Urology
15. Echoencephalography and Hyperostosis Frontalis Interna; White, D.N., Saunders, F.W., Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, Vol 17, pg 741-742, 1991.
16. Phase II trial of tirilazad in aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage: A report of the Cooperative Aneurysm Study; Haley, E.C., Kassel, N.F., Alves, W.M., Weir, K.A., Hansen, C.A. and participants. J. Neurosurgery 82; 786-790.
17. Lovenox for DVT prevention: A Clinical and Ultrasound Evaluation. Local representative for multicentred cooperative study. Funded Rhone Poulenc Rorer Canada Ltd., Completed and to be published 1994.
18. The Role of Intraoperative Frozen Section Diagnosis in the Management of Patients with CNS lesions: Evaluation of 60 Consecutive Intraoperative Frozen Sections from 1991-1993. Mirsattari, S. and Saunders, F.W., McGill Journal of Medicine 1:32-36, 1995.
19. Vascularity Demonstrated by Doppler Ultrasound and Immunohistochemistry in Invasivew Ductal Carcinoma of the Breast. Sterns, E.E., SenGupta, S., Saunders, F.W., Zee, B. in press
20. Thermography: Its Relaion of Pathologic Characteristics, Vascularity, Proliferation Rate and Survival in Invasive Ductal Carcinoma of the Breast. Sterns, E.E., Zee, B., SenGupta, S., Saunders, F.W., Cancer, Vol 7, No. 7, 1324-1328, 1996.
21. Circadian rhythm of cerebral perfusion, pressure, and intracranial pressure in head injury. Kropyvnytskyy, Saunders, Klemfuss, Brain Injury, 1999, vol 13, No. 1, 45-52.
22. Seeking Tau in Head Injury, Kropyvnytskyy I, Saunders, F., Biological Rhythm Research, No. 5, Vol. 30, 82-90, 1999.
23. A Computer System of Continuous Long-term Recording, Processing, and Analysis of Physiological Data of Brain Injured Patients in ICU Settings. Kropyvnytskyy, I., Saunders, F., Schierek, P., Pols, M., Brain Injury, vol 15., No 7, 577-583, 2001.
24. Circadian Rhythm of Temperature in Head Injury. Kropyvnytskyy, I., Saunders, F.W., Pols, M., Zarowski, C., Brain Injury, vol. 15., No 6, 511-518, 2001.
25. Rotational Acceleration Measurements: Impact in Helmet Protection. Canadian J., Kis, M., Saunders, F.W.
1. Neurologic System: Chapter in Clinical Thinking in Surgery, Ed. Sterns, E.E., pub. Appleton & Lange, Norwalk, Conn., 1989.
2. Central Nervous System Trauma: Chapter in Clinical Thinking in Surgery, Ed. Sterns, E.E., pub. Appleton & Lange, Norwalk, Conn., 1989.
1. Stroke and Coronary Artery Disease: Similarities: Presentation for Heart and Stroke, Prescott, March, 1984.
2. The Pathogenesis of Cerebral Ischemic Disease Presentation for Heart and Stroke Soc., Belleville May, 1984.
3. Practice Management Problems in Cerebro Vascular Disease: Presentation to Belleville Medical Society, Oct. 1984.
4. Blood Flow in Breast Masses as Measured by Angiodynography; Murphy, P., Sterns, E.E., Saunders, F.W., Presented William Ersil Research Day, Kingston, 1988.
5. Penile Blood Flow: Angiodynographic Study; Wilson, E., Saunders, F.W., Morales, A., Presented William Ersil Research Day, Kingston, 1988.
6. Transcranial Doppler: an Overiew: Presentation Canadian Society of Vascular Technology, Kingston, 1988.
7. Is Angiography necessary in the Assessment of Cerebral Vascular Occlusive Disease? An Angiodynographic Study: Presentation at William Keith Neurosurgical Symposium, Toronto Western Hospital, May 13, 1989.
8. Transcranial Ultrasound: Basic Physics and Clinical Applications; Presentation to Canadian Congress of Radiological Technicians, May 1989.
9. Sports Medicine: The Implications of Head Injuries; CME course presentation, Donald Gordon Center, April, 1990.
10. New Developments in Spinal Surgery: Lecture to Ontario Medical Society, May 20, 1995.
11. Principles of Carotid Ultrasound Diagnosis, lecture Ontario School of X-ray Technology, Nov 11, 1996.
12. Surgical Applications of Ultrasound. Lecture, Ontario School of X-ray Technology, Nov 12, 1996.
13. Relevance and cost effectiveness of one vs two limb examination for DVT. Samis, Saunders, Dept of Surgery Research Day, 1997 (first prize)
14. Head Injury and Biological Rhythms. Kropyvnytskyy, I., Saunders, F., Department of Surgery Research Presentations, 1998.
15. The Role of hockey helmets and visors with respect to Peripheral Vision in Concussion. Saunders, F.W., TenHove, M., Poster, 2002.
16. Comparison of Short-Term Outcomes of Carotid Stenting with Carotid Endarterectomy in the Treatment of Carotid Atherostenosis. Andeejani, A.M., Mitri, R.K., Howse, D.C.N., Saunders, F.W., Ferguson, R.D.G., ASNR. Boston, 2001.
17. Low Intracranial Hemorrhage Rate associated with Intraarterial Recombinant Tissue Plasminogen Activator Treatment of Acute Basilar Artery Occlusion. Reid, S., Saunders, F., Howse, D., Ferguson, D., Andeejani, A. ASNR, Washington, D.C., May 2003.
2005 - present: Publication Ban for development of computerized concussion games and Concussion clinics.
Ontario Neurotrauma Foundation: The role of central and peripheral visual perception in concussion: a dual task study: $24,000 (ended Feb 2006)
CTAQ: Helmet Protection: rotary acceleration vectors, Saunders, F.W., TenHove, M.,: $12,000 (ended June 2006)
Composite: Queen's, P.SI.... TCD assessment of acute MCA occlusions, Brunet, D., Jin, A., Saunders, F.: $20,000 (ended June 2005)
Botterell Fund: Helmet Fit and Rotational Injury Protection: $12,000 (2006-2007)
Ontario Neurotrauma Foundation: (Phase I $38,000, Phase II $42,000) Computerized Concussion Assessment Tool Development (March 07-March 08)
Planned and Ongoing Research:
Concussion Computerized Testing Phase II: A new game format: Saunders, F., tenHove, M.
Distal embolization and clinical deterioration following thrombolysis in acute stroke August 2006, Jin, Albert, Islam, O., Saunders, F., Brunet, D.
Helmet testing for rotational concussion protection: A testing Paradyme. Kis, M., Saunders, F.
Concussion Computerized Testing: A rapid fire testing sequence. Saunders, F., tenHove, M., Wilson, D.