Dr Andrew Hamilton
Associate Professor, Deputy Dept Head Current Appointments:
Attending Staff, Kingston General Hospital
Attending Staff, Hotel Dieu HospitalAreas of Clinical Interest:
Cardiac SurgeryAreas of Research Interest:Contact Information:
Department of Surgery
Kingston General Hospital, Victory 3
Kingston, ON K7L 2V7
Tel: (613) 548-2422
Fax: (613) 548-2406
Click here to email Dr HamiltonResidency:
July 1985 - June 1989
(General Surgery Residency) Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
July 1991 - June 1994
(Cardiothoracic Surgery Residency), Edmonton, Alberta.Medical School Graduation:
Dalhousie University Halifax, Nova Scotia, May 1984Certification:
FRCS(C) Cardiothoracic Surgery Toronto, Ontario, Sept 1994 Professional Memberships:
� Canadian Cardiovascular Society
� Canadian Society of Cardiac Surgeons
� Ontario Medical AssociationCommittees:
2000-present Surgical Council - member
2000-present Cardiac Program Council - member
2004-present Finance Committee - member
2006-present SPA Program Council - member
2006-present CTAQ Executive - member
2007-present CVRI/ICU Medical Coverage Committee - Chair
2007-present Transport Committee - Chair
2007-present Advisory Committee on Departmental Deliverables - member
2007-present SEAMO Governors - member
2008-present Task Group on Operationalizing Principles - memberAdministrative:
External Review � Cardiac Surgery and Cardiology Inpatient Ward � London Health Sciences Centre, University Hospital Site. October 2006Undergraduate Teaching:
2005-present Phase IIE Clinical Skills (tutor)
2000-present Undergraduate Cardiovascular Course (lecturer)
2007 Phase IIE OSCE (examiner)
2008 Phase IIC PBL (tutor)Awards and Distinctions:
• Second prize for clinical research project, Residents' Research day, University of Alberta, May 1993.
• Dr. J. W. Merritt Prize for highest standing in Surgery of all Four Years, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University, 1984.
• Dr. John F. Black Prize for highest standing in Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University, 1984.
• Ciba Prize for highest mark in anatomy, first year medicine, Dalhousie University, 1981.
• Entry scholarship to Dalhousie University, September, 1977.
• Graduated with honours from Queen Elizabeth High School, Halifax, Nova Scotia, 1977.Research (In progress):
1. Quality of Life Outcomes and Caregiver Burden in Patients over 75 years Treated for Coronary Artery Disease with Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery, Percutaneous Coronary Intervention or Medication Only, Dr. A. Hamilton, P. Bart, J. Tranmer. Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario Grant # NA 4941
2. Identification and Quantification of Emboli Post-Cardiac Surgery. Pollard, A., Ali, M., Secretain, F., Milne, B., Uddin, M., Hamilton, A., Ball, C.G.
3. Transfusion Reduction and Modified Ultra Filltration after Cardiopulmonary Bypass (TRAM Trial � a pilot feasibility trial). Rubens, F., Hamilton, A. H., Messan, T., Wells, G., Wells, P., Dupuis, J.Y., de Varness, B., Kiaii, R., Bourke, M.
4. A PilotTrial of a Home-Based Peer Support Program to Aid Recovery Post Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery. M. Parry, J. Tranmer, A. Day, G.A. Hamilton, J. Watt-Watson, E. Hodnett, D. Brooks, D. Dennis. ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00275340Patents:
1. Identification and Quantification of Emboli Post-Cardiac Surgery. Pollard, A., Ali, M., Secretain, F., Milne, B., Uddin, M., Hamilton, A., Ball, C.G.
1. Cost Reduction in Cardiac Surgery. A. Hamilton, C. Norris, R. Wensel, A. Koshal. Can J Cardiol 1994, 10(7):721-727.
2. Magnesium Sulfate Prophylaxis After Cardiac Operations, R. Karmy-Jones, A. Hamilton, V. Dzavik, M. Allegreto, B. A. Finegan, A. Koshal, Ann Thorac Surg, 1995;59:502-7.
3. Spinal cord infarct after arterial switch associated with an umbilical artery catheter, Robert Lemke, Nnanake Idiong, Saad Al-Saedi, Niels Giddens, Cameron Ward, Andrew Hamilton, Lois Hawkins, Betty Hancock, Jonah Odim, Ann Thorac Surg, May, 1996.
4. A Pattern of Progress: Cost-effective and Efficient Cardiac Surgery - Moving Towards 2000, Timothy Latham, Andrew Hamilton, Arvind Koshal, J Saudi Heart Assoc, 1998,10:21-27.
5. The Management of Non-traumatic Cardiac Arrest in the Operating Room with Cardiopulmonary Bypass, R Karmy-Jones, A Hamilton, A Koshal, Resuscitaion. 40(2), 1999, Elsevier
6. Postoperative pulmonary function in coronary artery bypass graft surgery patients undergoing early traceal extubation: A comparison between short-term mechanical ventilation and early extubation. Nicholson, D.J., Kowalski, S.E., Hamilton, G.A., Meyers, M.P., Serrette, C., Duke, P.C. Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anaesthesia. 16 (1) 2002, 27-3.
7. Anastomatic quality in CABG: when life depends on millimetres. Ali, M.J., Bardell, T., Bergstrome, D.H., Hamilton, G.A., CMAJ � October 1, 2002; 167 (7)
8. The Identification and Development of Canadian Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery Quality Indicators � The Canadian CABG Surgery Quality Indicator Consensus Panel. The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 2005;130:1257-64
9. Safety and Efficacy of Fast Track in Patients Undergoing Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery: M. Moon, D.F. Dec Rizzo, E.A. Pascoe, G.A. Hamilton, W. G. Lindsay, P.C. Duke, A. Abdoia Journal of Cardiac Surgery: 16(4), 2007
10. The Relationship Between Preventability of Death After CABG Surgery and All Cause Risk-Adjusted Mortality Rates. Guru, V., Tu, J., Etchells, E., Anderson, G., Naylor, D., Novick, R., Feinel, C., Rubens, F., Teoh, K., Mathur, A. Hamilton, A., Bonnes, D., Cutrara, C., Austin, C., Fremes, S. (ICES). Circulation, 117 2969-76, 2008
11. Functional Outcomes in Elderly Patients Following Treatment for Coronary Artery Disease (CAD). J. Tranmer, G.A. Hamilton, HM. Arthur, G. Adams, D. Groll, A. Day. Can J. Cardiology Vol 22, Suppl D, October 2006 178D
12. The Limited Value of All Cause Risk-Adjusted Mortality Hospital Report Cards in Measuring and Improving Quality of Care. V. Guru, JV. Tu, E. Etchells, GM Anderson, CD Taylor, RJ Novick, CM Feindel, F Rubens, K Teoh, A Mather, A Hamilton, D. Bonneau, C Cutrara, PC Austin, SE Fremes. Can J. Cardiology Vol 22, Suppl D, October 2006 179D
13. The Relationship between preventability of death after CABG surgery and all cause risk-adjusted mortality rates. Guru, V., Tu, J., Etchells, E., Anderson, G., Naylor, D., Novick, R., Feinel, C., Rubens, F., Teoh, K., Mathur, A. Hamilton, A., Bonnes, D., Cutrara, C., Austin, C., Fremes, S. (ICES) Circulation, June 2008 Presentations:
1. Aprotinin vs Shotgun Approach in Reduction of Post Cardiopulmonary Bypass Bleeding. A. Hamilton, A. Koshal. Residents' Research Day, May 1992, University of Alberta
2. Tranexamic Acid vs Aprotinin in Reoperations - the Only Difference is Cost. A. Hamilton, L. Entwistle, A. Koshal, B. Finegan. American College of Chest Physicians, Cardiac Surgery "Current Issues", 1993.
3. Cardiopulmonary Bypass With Antifibrinolytics:Perfusion Implications. A. Hamilton Baxter / Bently Perfusion Seminar, Sept. 24-25, 1993.
4. A Randomized Trial of Aprotinin and Tranexamic Acid Comparing Their Cost and Effect on Blood Component Use in Repeat Cardiac Surgery. A. Hamilton, L. Entwistle, A. Koshal, B. Finegan. Canadian Cardiovascular Society Meeting, October 1993.
5. Cost Containment in Cardiac Surgery, Department of Surgery, Health Sciences Center, Winnipeg Manitoba, January 12, 1994
6. Platelet Glycoproteins, Fibrinolysis and Blood Loss in Reoperative Cardiac Patients on Tranexamic Acid or Aprotinin. L. Podlosky, G. Clarke, L. Boshkov, A. Hamilton, W. Etches, S. Lee, A. Koshal, B. Finegan, L. Entwistle. Canadian Society of Transfusion Medicine, Montreal, PQ. March 1, 1994.
7. Magnesium Prophylaxis in Cardiac Surgery. R. Karmy-Jones, A. Hamilton, V. Dzavik, Allegreto, B. Finegan, A. Koshal, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Toronto, Ontario Sept, 1994
8. Is Early Discharge Following Cardiac Transplantation Safe? A. Hamilton, D.L. Modry, K. Teo, T. Montague, A. Koshal. Canadian Cardiovascular Society, Edmonton, Alberta, Oct 1994
9. Anaesthesia For Facilitated Recovery Post Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting, S Kowalski, P Duke, B Muirhead, C. Sawchuk, A. Hamilton, Canadian Cardiovascular Society Annual Meeting, Montreal 1996.
10. CABG Without Intensive Care Unit Stay, A. Hamilton, W. Lindsay, P. Duke, B Muirhead, C. Sawchuk, S Kowalski, Canadian Cardiovascular Society Annual Meeting, Montreal 1996.
11. Heart Surgery Without ICU ADMISSION is Safe in Selected Patients. A Hamilton MD , W Lindsay MD, FCCP, C Sawchuk MD, B Muirhead MD, D McGuire MD, P Duke MD, S Kowalski MD. American College of Chest Physicians, Cardiac Surgery "Current Issues�, 1996
12. Fatal Thrombosis of Aortic Valve Graft Homograft, K.L Wiebe, N. Pettigrew, D. Bell, A. Hamilton, J.W.Tam, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons Meeting, Sept. 1998.
13. Post-operative Pulmonary Function in CABG Patients Undergoing Early Endotracheal Extubation: A Comparison Between Short Term Mechanical Ventilation and Immediate Extubation. Donna Nicholson, Stephen Kowalski, Andrew Hamilton, Michael Meyers, Carl Serrette, Peter Duke. Canadian Anaesthesia Association Metting 1998.
14. Magnetic Resonance Perfusion Imaging of Retrograde Cardioplegia: Comparison of Three Different Techniques G Tian, WG Lindsay, J Shen, G Dai, Z Luo, J Sun, B Xiang, A Hamilton, R Somorjai, R Deslauriers, International Society for Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Medicine, Sydney Australia, 1999.
15. Simulataneous and Alternate Antegrade/Retrograde Cardioplegia Provide Equal Protection of Myocardial Energy Metabolism and Contractile Function. A 31P MR Spectroscopy Study in Isolated Blood Perfused Pig Hearts Z Luo, B Xiang, G tian, G Dai, J Sun, J Shen, A Hamilton, WG Lindsay, R Deslauriers, International Society for Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Medicine, Sydney Australia, 1999.
16. Safety and cost efficacy of fast track recovery in coronary bypass surgery. Dario F. Del Rizzo, Ahmed Abdoh, G. Andrew Hamilton, Peter Duke, William G. Lindsay, Robert L. Goodman, Edward Pascoe. CCS 1998.
17. Routine ICU Admission Is Not Required After Cardiac Surgery. E. Jacobsohn, R. DeBrouwere, S. Kenny, P Duke, S. Maguire, B. Muirhead, S. Kowalski, J. Enns, A. Hamilton, R. Goodman, D. Roberts. IARS, 1998.
18. Post-operative Pulmonary Function in CABG Patients undergoing Early Tracheal Extubation. Donna Nicholson, Stephen Kowalski, Andrew Hamilton, Michael Meyers, Carl Serrette, Peter Duke. S.C.A. Annual Meeting, April 1999.
19. Patient Reported Factors that Influence Post Cardiac Surgery Recovery. J.E. Tranmer, M.E.J. Parry, G.A. Hamilton, D.Petsikas, G. Ropchan. (Poster presentation) Heart and Stroke Clinical Update November 29, 2002.
20. Influence of Symptoms on Emergent Reassessment and Quality of Like Post-Cardiac Surgery. J.E. Tranmer, M. J. T. Parry, G.A. Hamilton, D. Petsikas, G. Ropchan. (Poster presentation ) Canadian Congress of Cardiovascular Surgeons, October 28, 2003.
21. Quality of Life and Burden of Care for Older Persons Living with Coronary Artery Disease (CAD). J. Tranmer, G.A. Hamilton, H. Arthur, M. Parry, G.Adams, D.Groll, C. O�Callaghan, A. Day (Poster presentation) CIHR - Institutes of Health Services Research � Symposia November 2003
22. Functional Outcomes in Elderly Patients Following Treatment for Coronary Artery Disease (CAD). J. Tranmer, G.A. Hamilton, HM. Arthur, G. Adams, D. Groll, A. Day. (Poster Presentation) Canadian Cardiovascular Congress 2006.
23. The Limited Value of All Cause Risk-Adjusted Mortality Hospital Report Cards in Measuring and Improving Quality of Care. V. Guru, JV. Tu, E. Etchells, GM Anderson, CD Taylor, RJ Novick, CM Feindel, F Rubens, K Teoh, A Mather, A Hamilton, D. Bonneau, C Cutrara, PC Austin, SE Fremes. (Poster Presentation) Canadian Cardiovascular Congress 2006.
24. Quality of life and burden of care in caregivers of older patients following treatment of coronary artery disease (CAD) J. Tranmer, G.A. Hamilton, H. Arthur, M. Parry, G.Adams, D.Groll, C. O�Callaghan, A. Day (Abstract) Canadian Cardiovascular Congress 2007 Invited Presentations:
1. Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery in Manitoba. �Effects of Diabetes on Outcomes� International Conference of Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease. Winnipeg 1994-1998
2. Surgical Decisions in Degenerative Mitral Regurgitation� 57th Annual Meeting of Canadian Anesthesiologists Society, Halifax, Nova Scotia. 2007
3. Penetrating Cardiac Trauma�. Canadian Society of Cardiac Surgeons Annual Meeting. Toronto, Ontario. 2003
4. Aortic Dissection and Acute Aortic Syndromes�. Cardiac Sciences Conference, Kingston, Ontario. November 2004
5. Mitral Valve Repair�. Eastern Ontario Cardiovascular Conference, Mount Tremblant, Quebec. April 2005
6. High Risk CABG Outcomes. Southeastern Ontario Coronary Revascularization Conference, Kingston, Ontario. May 2006
7. All Multi-vessel CAD should be treated by CABG. Southeastern Ontario Coronary Revascularization Conference, Kingston, Ontario. April 2007
8. Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting vs Angioplasty. SENORA Meeting (OR Nurses Assocation) Kingston, Ontario April 2007.
9. Valve Replacment Surgery. KGH/HDH Perioperative & Surgical Care Education Day. Kingston, Ontario April 2008.
10. Cardiac Valve Replacement � Which Valve and Why?� Cardiac Science Conference. Kingston, Ontario. November 2008Meetings Organized:
1. Blood and Surgery Symposium, Winnipeg Manitoba, May 1997, member of organising committee.
2. Canadian Society of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons, Annual meeting, Winnipeg Manitoba, Oct 1997.
3. International Conference on Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease, Winnipeg, June 3-6, 1999. Member of organising committee
4. Cardiac Surgeons Club of Canada, Miami, 1999 and Phoenix, 2000.
5. Cardiovascular CME, Kingston, 2006 (co-organizer)Visiting Professor:
New Brunswick Heart Center July 1997
Maritime Heart Center Jan 1998
University of Washington, Seattle Dec 1998